- When should I order spring-flowering bulbs?
Spring-flowering bulbs must be planted in the fall. We take orders
for fall delivery from the beginning of the year until the window
for fall planting closes (usually some time in December). We try to
anticipate demand, but some selections do sell out. If you order
before fall arrives, you should get all the bulbs you order. After
receiving your order, we reserve your bulbs, waiting to deliver them
until the ideal time for planting: when soil temperatures in your
area approach 55 degrees F. We will not charge your credit card
until we ship your bulbs.
Note: Gardeners in Zones 8-10 in the South and on the West Coast
must place orders for tulips, crocuses and hyacinths by October 15
to allow time for shipping and precooling. For more on precooling
tulips (and other bulbs),
If you are not sure of your zone, see our
- How do I get a catalog?
and fill out the online form. Current customers automatically
receive a copy of the current year's catalog in late July.
- Is there a minimum order?
Yes. To keep our prices low, we do not accept orders of less than
- Can homeowners order from Colorblends?
Yes. Please be aware that there is a $50 order minimum and that
bulbs must be ordered in the multiples specified in our catalog and on
- I have never planted bulbs before, where do I start?
Bulbs are reliable and rewarding workhorses in any garden, and they
are the best source of early-spring color. Tulips and Hyacinths do best
in well-prepared beds. Daffodils and the smaller specialty bulbs are
especially amenable to naturalizing in the yard and landscape. Be aware
that most flowering bulbs require well-drained soil and at least a half
day of spring sunshine to thrive.
In your first season we recommend dividing your budget among a
variety of bulbs--e.g., a mix of crocus, blue squill, daffodils,
alliums and tulips. That way you can see what you like and determine
what works best in different areas of your garden.
- I have a small yard and a bag of 100 bulbs is too much for me.
All Colorblends Solids tulips and most daffodils are also available
in quantities of 25. There are many Colorblends city gardeners.
- Do you sell only in blends?
For the most part, yes, but we also offer many individual
varieties. We can ship any single color from one of our blends (in
multiples of 100 only), so long as orders are placed before Sept. 15.
- Do you have bulb varieties that are not listed in your catalog?
We maintain inventory of several popular varieties that are not
listed in the catalog. We can also fill special orders, so long as (1)
the variety is available in Holland, (2) the order is for a multiple of
100 bulbs and (3) the order is placed before Sept. 15.
- If I order one of your blends, will I be able to tell what color I am planting so I can alternate the colors? Do the bulbs come in separate packages
The bulbs in our blends come premixed in a single package. You can
sometimes tell one variety from another by the shape or color of the
bulbs, but the whole idea behind the blends is to have a randomly mixed
planting. If you would prefer to have your bulbs separated by variety,
let us know and we'll try meet your needs. We can accept single color
orders in mulitples of 100.
- My local home center has bulbs in September that seem very inexpensive.
They are inexpensive because they are smaller than Colorblends bulbs
(see our Size Matters page). Large and
healthy flowers come from topsize bulbs.
- I have a bed I want to fill with bulbs, but I have no idea how many I need. Can you help me order the right number
Please refer to the chart below. We also provide bulbs per square
foot with each item description on this website. To calculate the
square footage of your bed, see our
bed area calculator.
||per sq. foot
- What does "cm" mean in bulb size ?
Bulb size is measured in circumference using centimeters. Here's how
to convert to diameter in inches: bulb size in cm / pi (3.14) * .39. So
a 12cm+ bulb is at least 1 1/2 inches in diameter.
- It's October and I just received my Colorblends order. Now I see that I have room for more bulbs. Can I get more in time to plant them this fall ?
Yes. Turnaround time on orders placed in fall is very fast, but we
recommend ordering early as some selections sell out. If we've run out
of what you're looking for, we'll be glad to help you choose something
else that will suit your needs.
- For bloom time, you say "Early," "Mid," or "Late." What do these words mean ?
These are relative bloom times. Because climate varies greatly
across the United States and no two springs in any given place are
exactly alike, we favor these relative terms over specific months. As
an example, an Early variety planted in Memphis may flower 4 weeks
before the same bulb planted in Chicago. By selecting bulbs from each
category, you can orchestrate a longer blooming season.
- Does Colorblends offer gift certificates ?
Yes. Please call us toll free at 1-888-847-8637 for details.
- I live outside the U.S. Will you ship to me ?
No. We ship only to U.S. addresses. Government regulations making
shipping outside the U.S. prohibitively complicated and expensive.
- Do you have a wholesale price list ?
We have just one pricing structure, which is what you see on this
website and in our catalog. For orders over 20,000 bulbs, please call
1-888-847-8637 and ask for Tim.
- Do you accept purchase orders ?
Purchase orders are accepted from approved institutions, companies,
government agencies and organizations. Government agencies, cities,
states, counties and public schools are automatically approved.
- I am looking for bulbs for spring planting, such as cannas, callas, lilies and dahlias. Do your offer them ?
No. We offer only spring-flowering bulbs, which must be planted in